Your rights in relation to privacy
Leigh Place Aged Care Ltd ABN: 57 003 866 135 (we, us, our) understands the importance of protecting the privacy of an individual’s personal information. This policy sets out how we aim to protect the privacy of your personal information, your rights in relation to your personal information managed by us and the way we collect, use and disclose your personal information.
What kinds of personal information do we collect?
Personal information is any information that identifies an individual or any information from which an individual’s identity could reasonably be ascertained. During the provision of our services, including if you access our website, we may collect your personal information.
We generally collect four kinds of information:
- Personal information provided by you, including your name, address, telephone number and email address;
- Health information in the event that you enter our care as a resident;
- Information that we obtain about you in the course of your interaction with our website including your internet protocol (IP) address, the date and time of your visit to our website, the pages you have accessed, the links on which you have clicked and the type of browser that you were using; and
- Aggregated statistical data which is information relating to your use of our website and our services, such as traffic flow and demographics.
How do we collect personal information?
Generally, we collect your personal information directly from you, if you:
- use our website;
- enter our care as a resident; or
- acquire any other services from us.
Why do we need your personal information?
We collect your personal information for the purposes of providing you with our care and services.
Where applicable, we may use your personal information:
- to provide aged care service to you;
- to enable allied health care providers and medical practitioners to provide care and services to you;
- to enable us to obtain the correct level of government funding in relation to your care;
- to identify and inform you of any other services that may be of interest to you;
- to fulfil any of our legal requirements; or
- for other purposes permitted or referred to under any terms and conditions you enter into or otherwise agree to with respect to our services.
If you do not wish to have your personal information used in any manner or purpose specified above, please contact our Privacy Officer.
Who do we disclose your personal information to?
We may disclose your personal information to allied health professionals who assist us in providing care and services, medical practitioners external health agencies such as the ambulance service, hospitals, the Australian Department of Social Services, the Aged Care Quality Agency, Medicare and relevant State health authorities as necessary to carry out the purposes for which the information was collected.
We may also disclose your personal information with your consent or if the disclosure is required by law.
Security of your personal information
We take all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we hold is protected against misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
We hold personal information in both hard copy and electronic forms in secure databases on secure premises, accessible only by our authorised staff.
However, we cannot guarantee the security of any personal information transmitted to us via the Internet.
Can you access the personal information that we hold about you?
Under the Privacy Act, you have a right to access your personal information that is collected and held by us. If at any time you would like to access or change the personal information that we hold about you, or you would like more information on our approach to privacy, please contact our Privacy Officer.
To obtain access to your personal information, you will have to provide us proof of identity. This is necessary to ensure that personal information is provided only to the correct individuals and that the privacy of others is protected.
We will take all reasonable steps to provide access to your personal information within 30 days from your request. In less complex cases, we will try to provide information within 14 days.
If providing you with access requires a detailed retrieval of your personal information, a fee may be charged for the cost of retrieval and supply of information.
How to contact us
For further information or enquiries regarding your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer.
Please direct all privacy complaints to our Privacy Officer. At all times, privacy complaints:
- will be treated seriously;
- will be dealt with promptly;
- will be dealt with in a confidential manner; and
- will not affect your existing obligations or affect the commercial arrangements between you and us.
Our Privacy Officer will commence an investigation into your complaint. You will be informed of the outcome of your complaint following completion of the investigation.